- 1 large butternut squash (You can buy them pre-cubed to save a LOT of time, or whole to save a LOT of money :)
- 2 Macintosh apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Lay out the butternut squash in one layer on a baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil, and season heavily with salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Saute the apples and onions in butter over medium heat until soft. Stir in brown sugar and remove from heat.
- Add squash, apple mixture and remaining ingredients to a soup pan. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, smashing with a fork and stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and smooth completely with an emulsion blender.
- Serve with a dollop of sour creme and chives