Thursday, December 8, 2011

20 Minute Holiday Tart- from LEFTOVERS

I always know that I have to bring something...and somehow, every holiday I am that crazy girl in the grocery store scrambling for something...anything...to bring to the party. I love to cook, so I usually spend around $20 in ingredients and try to go over the top to impress.

I do this during the hardest time, when I have 4 kids, and 2 adults to shower, primp, and prepare the house for coming home. I HATE coming home to the mess that is created from getting all of us ready! (Did I mention we have 1 bathroom? Not even a half?

So this year for Thanksgiving, I came up with this fun and easy recipe that the kids could do FOR me, and made it all from things I found around the cupboard!

Ingredients:
Filling
3 small apples, sliced thin
Big handful of orange scented dried cranberries (we always have dried fruit around for snacks, but this recipe could easily use raisins!)
1/2 c red wine
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c flour
Crust
2 1/2 c. Flour
1 c. Shortening
1 Tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 egg + 1/2 c. cold water

Method
Crust
Sift together dry ingredients. Stir together wet ingredients. Mix wet and dry together by hand, and press immediately into tart pan. Poke at it with a fork on bottom AND sides. (This is important or it will get bubbles and not accept any filling!) Bake at 350 for about 7 minutes.
Filling
Add dried fruit and wine to a small pan and simmer until fruit is rehydrated. (puffy is good!)
Stir together apples, flour, and sugar in a medium bowl, and put directly into warm crust. Top with rehydrated fruit. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until apples are as soft as you like them. (I like mine a little crisper, hubby likes them mush)
Finishing
A drizzle of honey and some slivered almonds makes it pretty!







  Cindy Andrzejewski Owner, Cute-Ecakes
(888)300-3708 
www.cute-ecakes.com 
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google Plus
TwitterLatest tweet: Review ~ HotPants #hotinhotpants 2 Week Challenge http://t.co/rHSYPvuT via @SweepTight

0 comments: