The first thing I wish I knew then...
If I had known blogging would become such a big part of my life, I would have purchased my domain for 5 years, rather than the 1 year plus monthly hosting. I would have started as a self-hosted Wordpress site, and this is why:
Google looks at your sites time until expiration as a determining factor of your Page Rank. I'd imagine that they think if you are set to expire soon, or only have a short "lease"", you are not serious about staying around.
I love Blogger, I really do. There are enough features plus my own modifications, that I can do whatever I want. BUT- SEO is a pain with Blogger and there is not a way around that. Wordpress has several Plug-ins that make SEO a breeze, and will improve your ranking, and in the longer term, your income.
***101 TIP*** Page Rank is important to many advertisers, and is representative of how high you rank in a Google search.
First 5 things you should do to start a blog:
- Choose a good title- searchable, relevant
- Choose a niche. It could be a wide range, but nail something down.
- Purchase your domain name .COMs, are as low as $5.99 per year!
- Set up with Wordpress- there are tons of free templates you can use to make it pretty!
- Immediately set up all of your social media sites business/fan pages, and choose the same name for all of them! Then add the at the top of your new blank blog. For Example
- Facebook : Cute-Ecakes
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/cute_ecakes
- Google Plus: http://gplus.to/cute-ecakes
Facebook | Twitter | Google Plus | Linked In | Advertise Here